Saturday, November 25, 2006

This week I started my internship at an organization in Chiang Mai. So far it has just been an amazing experience. I'm working on a research project by myself on the environmental effects of mining to be used in a possible advocacy campaign in the future. It might not be the most interesting or engaging material, but it is really great getting the chance to do something like this, to be working in a place like this with such amazing people. Working there has definitely helped give me some guidance as far as what I want to do in the future, career-wise. I feel like someone who grew up loving medicine and the human body, and then found out after twenty years that "doctor" is an actual occupation. I'm just amazed that this is what people can actually do. I'm pretty excited right now. Also, I spent today, Saturday, playing soccer with the staff from the office as well as the students that are currently attending the activist school that they run. It was fun, though I obviously have nothing on willey Burmese fellas when it comes to football. The funny thing about the whole affair is how seriously they take it. Today was the first day of the yearly tournament-type thing (kind of like offices have softball leagues in the States), and it's apparently a big enough deal to warrent a referee and professional uniforms, shirts and shorts. My team donned the uniform of Chelsea Football Club and our opponents went as Liverpool. It was quite goofy.

Apart from that, not much is going on. I've just been taking the lack of school work as an opportunity to take things easy. Last night we went to a very very very good Thai restaraunt, managing a delicious dinner and drinks for under ten dollars, which is expensive. It did help me put my unease about Thai food to rest, as I realized that good Thai food is AMAZING, and it's the other stuff that just ain't so hot.

So I'm set to be in Chiang Mai for the next month and a half or so, first working at my internship and then break and then going to the island course in January.

I posted my mailing address for a reason...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, since attempting to mail you $10 worth of candy for a fee of $50, I've been a bit put-off by the mail thing. We also attempted to send you a bit of autumn in the form of leaves pressed between pieces of wax paper, but the darn things didn't even survive the ride into work very well. They just don't make leaves (or wax paper) the way the use to!

missing you, always.

mom

grace said...

Well, it was sure shocking that you stunk at soccer! I'm sure Maria will be jealous that you got to play with people NOT from the U.S. Have fun, it sounds like you are already. Miss you