Saturday, August 26, 2006

Well I made it -- it's my first morning here, at my host family's home. We arrived in Chiang Mai yesterday around 10 AM, and were quickly greeted by the ISDSI staff (ISDSI is the program that I am in). They rounded us all up and took us to the ISDSI compound. We got an immediate indication of what was in store when we loaded into the covered beds of red trucks called song taews and stared out the open windows and door at the beautiful city that flew past us. Anyone who had any doubts about the program quickly had a change of heart.

The ISDSI compound was no less spectacular. An old building with a yard, climbing wall, covered patio, etc. We were greeted by the program director and then we're treated to lunch. An hour later, Ajaan Mike (ajaan means teacher), took whoever wanted to to get Thai massages, for the nice price of 350 bhat (about $10). They lasted two hours, and were, of course, amazing... despite the fact that everyone had to pee during them because we chugged water before hand from the recomendation that we hydrate.

Once we returned, it was only a half hour or so before host families started arriving. We were all incredibly nervous, and those doubts began to resurface. We frantically went over what little Thai we collectively knew, stressing, most important, how to say 'pom mai kao jai' -- 'I don't understand' -- incase we were to land a family that spoke no English.

I got my family assingment somewhere in the middle of them all. My family consists of my host mother and father, host sister Nong View (15), brother Ono (18). There is also a family friend, who was there with mother and View to pick me up, who speaks pretty good English, so that was a help. My host mother also speaks some English, usually enought that we can figure each other out. Ono is studying English in school, and we've already agreed to help each other on our homework. I suppose I should also mention how much I already love them all... they are so nice and very funny. Last night we went out to dinner, a 'steak buffet'. Nancy (the family friend) and my host mother dropped us kids off, because they, it turns out, are vegetarian. I secretly wished I could go with them, especially when I realized that the buffet consisted of fried meats and french fries, as well as some salad stuff. Not quite the typical Thai meal, but it was a lot of fun spending time with my host siblings, and their cousin, Nong Kaa. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out words in each others languages, and giving rounds of high fives when we did figure it out. I'm glad the Thais appreciate the magic of high fives.

On the ride home I was falling asleep, due to the fact that I had gotten about seven or so hours of sleep over the past two days of travel. (I should note, also, how bizarre the travel was, especially the seven hour lay over in the empty airport in Singapore (where we felt like little kids at a hotel), and the 18 hour flight over the Pacific, for which we were on the most extravagant airplane, and all felt like the kid from Blank Check). Anyways... I got home and promptly passed out in my room. When I woke up, I had a breakfast of fried rice, soup, and sticky rice. Sticky rice is amaaazing. Especially with Thai custard, as i had it this morning. And now I'm here.

Maybe not the most thoughtful of all updates in the world, but I just thought I'd get yall up to date on what's going on. I have the weekend off now, and will go to school this monday. I hope to find a phone today as well. Love.

-Noah.

5 comments:

Amelia said...

Thailand sounds amazing -- I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. <3

Anonymous said...

sounds wonderful. i'm having trouble figuring out the blog thing. mom

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you got there ok. It sounds like so much fun. I'm happy to hear that there are people in your family who speak English, other wise that would be a hard 7 months! Hope you continue to have the time of your life! Miss ya
Grace

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that you're having fun!
Lydia

Anonymous said...

Noah, Thailand sounds soooo wonderful from all that I've read from your blog and what Clay has told me in his emails. I'm jealous, for now anyway, since I'm still home. Anyway, keep enjoying yourself..be good and safe but have lots of fun and learn lots. Take care love,
Stacy