Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Well I'm back. The expedition was amazing. I'll write aaaaall about it later, when I don't have a ten page paper to write for the morning. As for now, just know that I'm having a wonderful time, and I'm so happy to be back in Chiang Mai. No major injuries to speak of, except a major bee sting while riding in a song taew and a handfull of thorns from slipping while chasing a one thousand year old man down a muddly mountain. I still have a few stuck in my hand, but I can't feel them anymore. My back is also a little sore from harvest rice for two days. All in all some good times. I learned a ton.

On a completely unrelated note. Upon my return to Chiang Mai five hours ago, we quickly ran to the computers to find out the status on the baseball playoffs. And can I just say... YOU HAVE TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME! I have loved the Detroit Tigers my whoooole life. Twenty years, twenty painful, heartbreaking years. I leave the country for less than two months and they go to the World Series. After twenty years of watching, I'm not there to see Kenny Rogers pitch 15 shutout innings. After twenty years of watching I'm not there to see Curtis Granderson and Criag Monroe explode in the playoffs. After twenty years of watching, I'm not there for Magglio Ordonez's three-run walk-off homerun to complete the sweep. What kind of absurd cosmic mixup is this? I'm completely giddy with excitement and overcome by disappointment at not being there at the same time. I've spent the last hour and a half or so watching the highlights and reading the boxscores in an internet cafe, which has actually done quite well to suffice. I'm jealous of all you who have gotten to watch some fantastic baseball. Also, I should be able to manage to watch some of the World Series, the games that take place on the weekends at least. This will require going to a bar or renting a hotel room in the early morning, but it will definitely happen. You probably all think I'm ridiculous for writing about this instead of my experiences living with a holistic and empowered organic community, or about learning what sustainability means for the environment and societies, or about all the beauty I've seen in the land and the people here in Thailand. Well... whatever.

But really. I love Thailand right now.

4 comments:

Scott McLean said...

Hi,
Yeah, the Tigers look great! I was in Thailand last year and also enjoyed my visit. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Remind me not to give your blog out to my conservative friends, or your former english teachers. love you, sweetie.

grace said...

Hey! Glad to hear that you had fun on your excersion. Yes, yes, everyone hear is excited about the Tigers, all though I am guessing you are more excited!

Anonymous said...

NOAH! i thought of you as soon as the Tigers won that last game. as of now, my mom and i are trying to hatch a scheme to go to a game. i'm so sad you're not here to see it. but you're having a much better experience in thailand, i'm sure (and by the way, i'm still jealous).

on something entirely unrelated to the tigers, i had a dream last night that stephen colber was my religion teacher. we were taking an exam, and when i flipped my scantron over to continue the exam, bubbles were already filled in. i brought it up with the t.a., because stephen refused to actually have any sort of converstion with his students. the t.a. then told stephen and he was so upset by the whole ordeal, he began this incredible tirade how the only religion was christianity, he was blackmailed into teaching the religion class (god only knows how one could be blackmailed into teaching a religion class), he hated the youth of america for their "open minds", women had no right in the college classroom, and so on. he cancelled the exam after snatching my exam of my desk, glaring at me from behind his strangers with candy eye glasses, berating me by telling me i wasn't capable of learning anything because i'm a woman, and finally tearing the paper to shreds.

before i went to class this afternoon, i watched an episode of strangers with candy. it seemed all too appropriate.

and my parents say hello, and wish you well.